Responsibilities of Student Employees

  • Abide by the Student Code of Conduct, all applicable UNC Asheville and UNC policies, and federal and state law, including those related to maintaining confidentiality.
  • Adhere to all policies and procedures detailed in the Student Employment Policy and communicated by the hiring department. This includes the Payroll + Timekeeping guidelines.
  • Complete all student employee assignments and duties as detailed in the job description and by the supervisor.
  • Complete an On-Campus Student Employment Evaluation for each semester employed and discuss evaluation with supervisor. 
  • Complete Student Employee Training as outlined by the Career Center and your department.


Types of Student Employment (FWS & Non-FWS) 

Non-Federal Work Study (Non-FWS) Positions

  • What is a Non-FWS Position? This is any on-campus student employee position that is not funded by Federal Work Study through Financial Aid. These make up the majority of on-campus opportunities. 
  • Who is eligible for Non-FWS positions? Any undergraduate student that is degree-seeking and enrolled at UNC Asheville for the current semester or, if working during academic year breaks, enrolled for the following semester at UNC Asheville. 
  • How many hours can I work in my Non-FWS position? Students can work a maximum of 28 hours per week inclusive of all paid on-campus positions. Hours during winter and summer breaks should not exceed 40 hours per week inclusive of all paid positions the student holds on-campus. 

International Students & Working on Campus

  • What is required for an international student to work on campus? The international student must have work authorization before they can begin working on campus. They will need to bring their I-20 or DS-2019, a valid US Social Security Card, and an offer letter from the supervisor to the Social Security Office. 
    • Once an international student has work authorization, what on-campus positions can they apply for? International students can apply for any on-campus position that is not funded by FWS. The position must be for the school or a contracted company (like Chartwells/Dining Services). 
    • How many hours can an international student work? International students can work a maximum of 20 hours/week when classes are in session and a maximum of 40 hours/week when classes are not in session. 


Federal Work Study (FWS) Student Positions

  • What is FWS? FWS is a federally funded financial aid employment program available during fall and spring semesters.  Eligibility for FWS is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Who can apply for a FWS position? Students who are a) eligible for FWS,  b) accept the award through the Financial Aid Office, and are c) degree-seeking, enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours), and a US citizen or permanent resident.
  • How will I receive my FWS funding? Students earn the FWS funds by applying for and securing on-campus FWS positions with the University. FWS hourly pay rate is determined by the Financial Aid Office based on financial aid allocations and award amounts.
  • How do I know what the FWS positions are? When you log into Handshake, choose ‘Jobs’ in the top left of the page. On the next page, click on ‘All Filters’ in the top center of the page. Click on ‘Work study’ so that it is selected. When you click the blue ‘Show Results’ button, all of the positions that load are FWS positions.
  • Am I guaranteed a FWS position? No. You still need to meet the position requirements and apply, interview, and be offered the position.
  • How many hours can I work in my FWS position?  Students with FWS can work a maximum of 20 hours per week in their FWS position during the academic year. The recommended number of hours is 10 hours/week.