Student Employees

The hiring process for non-FWS and FWS student employees is detailed at the bottom of this page. Additional resources related to the hiring process can be found in the ‘Resources & Forms’ tab.


Non-Federal Work Study (Non-FWS) Positions

  • What is a Non-FWS Position? This is any (and most) on-campus student employee position that is not funded by Federal Work Study.
  • Who is eligible for Non-FWS positions? Any undergraduate student that is degree-seeking and enrolled at UNC Asheville for the current semester or, if working during academic year breaks, enrolled for the following semester at UNC Asheville. 
  • Where can I find find open non-FWS positions? When you log into Handshake, choose ‘Jobs’ in the top left of the page. Then click the ‘on-campus’ filter to the right of the search bar.
  • How many hours can I work in my Non-FWS position? Students can work a maximum of 28 hours per week inclusive of all on-campus paid positions. Hours during winter and summer breaks should not exceed 40 hours per week inclusive of all on-campus paid positions. 


Federal Work Study (FWS) Student Positions

  • What is FWS? FWS is a federally funded financial aid employment program available during fall and spring semesters.  Eligibility for FWS is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Who can apply for a FWS position? Students who are a) eligible for FWS, b) accept the award through the Financial Aid Office, and are c) degree-seeking, enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours), and a US citizen or permanent resident.
  • How will I receive my FWS funding? Students earn the FWS funds by applying for and securing on-campus positions that are eligible to be paid through FWS. FWS positions are paid an hourly rate, determined by the Financial Aid Office, on a biweekly basis. There are no parameters on how the pay is used after being deposited.
  • How do I find FWS-eligible positions? You’ll use Handshake to identify on-campus and off-campus FWS-eligible positions. 
    • On-Campus FWS-Eligible Positions: When you log into Handshake, choose ‘Jobs’ in the top left of the page. Click on ‘All filters,’ which is at the end of the line that has the job search bar and additional filters. This will pop open a small window. Scroll to the very bottom and in “Labeled by your school” type in ’22-23 fws.’
    • Additionally, all on-campus positions that are eligible to be paid through FWS will have “This position is open to non-Federal Work Study and Federal Work Study eligible students” at the top of the posting description. 
    • Off-Campus FWS-Eligible Positions: When you log into Handshake, choose ‘Jobs’ in the top left of the page. Then click on ‘All Filters’ in the top center of the page and select the ‘Work study’ filter. When you click the blue ‘Show Results’ button, those off-campus opportunities will load.
      • I’m eligible for FWS but don’t see the ‘Work study’ filter. This probably means your Banner account doesn’t have you marked as receiving FWS. Contact the Registrar at or 828-350-4500 and the Financial Aid Office at or 828-251-6535.
  • Am I guaranteed a FWS position? No. You still need to meet the position requirements and apply, interview, and be offered the position.
  • How many hours can I work in my FWS position?  Students with FWS can work a maximum of 20 hours per week in their FWS position during the academic year. The recommended number of hours is 10 hours/week. 


Hiring Process for Student Employees

  • Step 1: Use Handshake to identify on-campus student employee positions you’re interested in and submit application(s) (including any requested documents such as a resume or cover letter) before the position application deadline. 
  • Step 2: Typically, you’ll interview for a position with the hiring supervisor. Once the supervisor completes all interviews, they’ll make an offer to the successful student. If that’s you, congratulations!
  • Step 3: You will receive the Student Employment Agreement at your email.  Complete your portion of the Student Employment Agreement.
  • Step 4: Complete all required documentation with Human Resources. You cannot begin working until all paperwork is completed.
  • Once the SEA and all required documents are submitted, Payroll will enter the student employee information into Banner, which allows access to timesheets through the ‘Employment’ tab in OnePort. It may take several days for this processing to happen, so if you don’t see the ‘Employment’ tab in OnePort please give it a couple of days before contacting Human Resources.
  • You will receive an email confirming you are able to begin working!