International Students & Working on Campus
- What is required for an international student to work on campus? An international student must have work authorization/a Social Security Number (SSN) before they can begin working on campus. Details on how to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) are at the bottom of this page. Additionally, international students must maintain legal F-1 or J-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.
- Once an international student has work authorization, what on campus employee positions can they apply for? International students can apply for any on-campus position that is not funded by FWS. The position must be for the university or a contracted company such as Chartwells/Dining Services.
- How many hours can an international student work on campus?
- Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during the regular full-time quarters, which are set by the UNC Asheville academic calendar and include finals weeks.
- Full-time (more than 20 hours per week but not exceeding 40 hours per week) between quarters.
- Full-time (more than 20 hours per week but not exceeding 40 hours per week) during annual vacation quarter (summer semester).
- What would make an international student ineligible for employee on campus positions? Your on-campus employment eligibility expires:
- when you graduate/on the last day of your final quarter (per UNC Asheville academic calendar) even if your I-20 expiration date is after that date
- if you transfer to another university; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date
- if you violate your F-1 status and your SEVIS record is terminated
- What if an international student wants to work off-campus? You’ll want to connect with Sara King, Coordinator of Global Studies and International Student Advisor, via an appointment, email, or phone call. Set up an in-person or virtual appointment or contact Sara King at email@example.com or 828-232-5037.
- Who should I contact if I need more information or have additional questions? You’ll want to connect with Sara King, Coordinator of Global Studies and International Student Advisor, via an appointment, email, or phone call. Set up an in-person or virtual appointment or contact Sara King at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-232-5037. The Study Abroad office is located in the Academic Success Center in the basement of Ramsey Library and is open 8AM to 5PM Monday through Friday. Additional information can be found at Study in the States – Working in the United States.
Hiring Process for International Student Employees
All international students will need a Social Security Number in order to be hired on-campus.
- Step 1: Use Handshake to identify on-campus student employee positions you’re interested in and submit application(s) (including any requested documents such as a resume or cover letter) before the position application deadline.
- Step 2: Typically, you’ll interview for a position with the hiring supervisor. Once the supervisor completes all interviews, they’ll make an offer to the successful student. If that’s you, congratulations!
- Step 3: You will receive the Student Employment Agreement at your @unca.edu email. Complete your portion of the Student Employment Agreement.
- Step 4: Apply for your Social Security Number (SSN). Details on how to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) are below.
- Step 5: Provide your Social Security Number (SSN) to Human Resources.
- Once the SEA and all required documents are submitted, Payroll will enter the student employee information into Banner, which allows access to timesheets through the ‘Employment’ tab in OnePort. It may take several days for this processing to happen, so if you don’t see the ‘Employment’ tab in OnePort please give it a couple of days before contacting Human Resources.
- You will receive an email confirming you are able to begin working!
Social Security Number (SSN) Requirement
If you are planning to work on-campus during your studies at UNC Asheville, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). All international students who wish to work must apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). UNC Asheville cannot complete your hiring paperwork without your Social Security Number (SSN) and you cannot begin working on-campus until your hiring paperwork is completed.
The Social Security Administration office number to call and schedule your appointment is 866-572-8361.
For your appointment with the Social Security Administration, you will need:
- Current I-20 or DS-2019 Document
- SS-5 Form
- On-Campus Job Offer Letter or Email from the Hiring Supervisor
- F-1 students must provide evidence of lawful F-1 employment for their on-campus position.
- Work Authorization Letter
Please note you cannot arrive to your Social Security Administration appointment early. Plan to arrive at the scheduled time to avoid any issues or delays. In the meantime, you can look at the Social Security website and complete the fillable SS-5 form that will help your appointment go smoothly. If you have additional questions, please visit the F-1 Student On-Campus webpage or email Sara King at email@example.com.