- 246C Rhoades Robinson Hall
Sonia Kapur earned her Ph.D. in Public Policy from the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville and a Ph.D. in Sociology from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. She has over seven years of non-profit sector experience on issues of gender and child rights across South Asia and India in particular. She has taught courses on ethnicity and nation-building, gender and policy, and comparative politics. Her research interests include immigration policy and domestic abuse, intersectionality, stratification and refugee studies, health impact assessments and religious nationalism.
- Ph. D., Public Policy, University of Arkansas, USA
- Ph. D., Sociology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- M.Phil., Sociology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- M. A., Sociology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
- B. A., Sociology (Hons.)., University of Delhi, India
- Introduction to Global Studies
- Nation-building, Identity, and Diversity in South Asia
- Gender and Development in South Asia
- Senior Capstone: Cultivating Global Citizenship
- Kapur, S. (2019). Holiday Brides and Policy Concerns: The Perils of Being in "NO-Man's" Land. Gender and Women's Studies, 2 (3):2.
- Kapur, S. & Zajicek, A. (2018). Constructions of Battered Asian Indian Marriage Migrants: The Narratives of Domestic Violence Advocates. Violence Against Women,24 (16), 1928-1948.
- Kapur, S., Zajicek, A., & Hunt, V. (2017) Immigration Provisions in the Violence Against Women Act: Implications for Asian Indian Marriage Migrants. Journal of Women, Politics & Policy.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1554477X.2016.1268872
- Kapur, S., Zajicek, A., & Gaber, J. (2015). Non-Profit Organizations' Serving Domestic Violence Survivors: Addressing Intersectional Needs of Asian Indians. Affilia: Journal of Women and Social Work, 1-17. doi: 10.1177/0886109915592669.
- Gaber, J. and Kapur, S. (2014). Health Impact Assessments in India: Exploring a Possible Community Health Policy Innovation. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development, 5(3), 276-280.
- Hoffman, E., Srivastava, G., and Kapur, S. (2013). Youthful Peak Experiences among India’s Nursing Students: Educational Implications. Indian Journal of Positive Psychology, 4(2), 391-395.
- Hoffman, E., Relwani-Garg, N., Kaneshiro, S., and Kapur, S. (2012).Peak-experiences among Indians in midlife. Indian Journal of Positive Psychology, 3(3), 217-223.
- Kapur, S. with Soodan, K. S. and Srivastava, U. Society and Social Justice: A Nexus in Reviewby Mohan, B. Bloomington, IN: iUniverse, 2012 (Coeditor).