- 159 Rhoades/Robinson Hall
- Monday 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Wednesday 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Dr. Wilcox teaches upper-level courses in hydrogeology and water chemistry and introductory courses in geology and environmental science. He also teaches Regional Field Geology each summer. His research incorporates field studies and laboratory experiments and analyses to better understand local hydrologic issues. Recent projects have included wetland hydrology in the recently-established Mountain Bogs National Wildlife Refuge, groundwater contamination at the CTS of Asheville Superfund site, and the transport of household chemicals through local soils. He is also a licensed Professional Geologist [NC License #2500].
- B.S. Hope College
- M.S. University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison
- ENVR 105 Physical Geology
- ENVR 106 Earth History
- ENVR 130 Introduction to Environmental Science
- ENVR 290 Regional Field Geology
- ENVR 338 Hydrology and Hydrogeology
- ENVR 362 Water Chemistry
- Professional Memberships: Geological Society of America; National Association of Geoscience Teachers
- Wilcox, J.D. . "Total solar eclipse effects on evapotranspiration captured by groundwater fluctuations in a Southern Appalachian fen." HYDROLOGICAL PROCESSES 2019:1-4. doi: 10.1002/hyp.13419.
- Wilcox, J.D. and K.M. Johnson*. . "Trichloroethylene [TCE] in tree cores to complement a subsurface investigation on residential property near a former electroplating facility." ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING AND ASSESSMENT 188. doi: 10.1007/s10661-016-5603-x.
- Wilcox, J.D., M.B. Gotkowitz, K.R. Bradbury, & J.M. Bahr. . "Using groundwater models to evaluate strategies for drinking-water protection in rural subdivisions." JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN PLANNING ASSOCIATION 76:295-304.
- Wilcox, J.D., J.M. Bahr, C.J. Hedman, J.D.C. Hemming, M.A.E. Barman, & K.R. Bradbury. . "Removal of organic wastewater contaminants in septic systems using advanced treatment technologies." JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY 38:149-156.
- Wilcox, J.D., K.R. Bradbury, C.L. Thomas, & J.M. Bahr. . "Assessing background ground water chemistry beneath a new unsewered subdivision." GROUND WATER 43:787-795.
[NOTE: *indicates undergraduate research co-author.]
- Wilcox, J.D. and R. Reid. . "Hydrologic monitoring and management of groundwater-fed wetlands in the Southern Appalachians." Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, IN.
- Ornelles, A.D.* and J.D. Wilcox. . "Investigating the role of montmorillonite clay on the transport of caffeine, bisphenol A, sulfamethoxozole, and carbamazepine in groundwater." Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, IN.
- Wilcox, J.D. and A. Warwick. . "Hydrologic response to fire and drought in a Southern Appalachian wetland." Geological Society of America Southeastern Section Meeting, Richmond, VA.
- Wilcox, J.D. . "A case for more data to assess variability and long-term trends for TCE in ambient and indoor air." Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Anderson, S.* and J. Wilcox. . "Analyzing the relationship between bog turtle [Glyptemys muhlenbergii] distribution, soil, and hydrologic conditions in Western North Carolina." National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Asheville, NC.
- Landert, K.S.* and J. Wilcox. . "Comparing photographic and GIS-based applications for estimating canopy cover in Southern Appalachian bogs." National Confrence on Undergraduate Research, Asheville, NC.
- Wilcox, J.D. . "Community engaged scholarship in the physical sciences: Using a contaminated EPA Superfund site to promote the teachng, research, and community engagement mission at UNC Asheville." Engagement Scholarship Consortium Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Bradbury, K.R., T.W. Rayne, J.J. Krause, J.D. Wilcox, and C.J. Ptacek. . "Impacts of a rural subdivision on groundwater qualit: Documenting a transition from agriculture to residential land use." Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC.
- Ford, B.* and J. Wilcox. . "Evaluating pharmaceutical sorption to soils and ground water from an eastern North Carolina family farm." National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Louisvile, KY.
- Wilcox, J.D. . "Dispelling the 'water-budget myth' in an undergraduate hydrogeology course." Geological Society of America Annual Meeting [Denver, CO].
- Wilcox, J.D. . "Novel fen ecosystems in western North Carolina." American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting [San Francisco, CA].
- Wilcox, J.D., M.L. Alexander, S.D. Dinsmore*, J.R. Simms*, and C.M. Tickle*. . "Toward a better understanding of hydrologic controls on mountain wetlands in the southern Appalachians." Geological Society of America Annual Meeting [Charlotte, NC]. [Invited].
- Svetlova, L.*, S. Wasileski, and J.D. Wilcox. . "Analysis of tricholorethene [TEC] accumulation by hybrid poplar trees planted in soil and grown hydroponically at a property contaminated with TCE." American Chemical Society Southeastern Regional Meeting [Raleigh, NC].
- Wilcox, J.D., K.M. Johnson*, and M.P. Wuttke*. . "Tricholorethylene [TCE] in tree cores collected at a contaminated spring complex in Asheville, NC." Geological Society of America Annual Meeting [Minneapolis, MN].
[NOTE: *indicates undergraduate research student co-presenter].