- 220 Whitesides Hall
- Monday 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- Wednesday 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Thursday 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Born in Chicago, raised in California, taught at BYU and Elmira College (in upstate New York) before moving to Asheville in 1994. Happily married since 1982, two children.
- Ph.D. Yale University, 1988 (Chinese Language and Literature)
- B.A. Brigham Young University, 1984 (Ancient Greek)
- HIST 151: World Civilizations to 1500
- HIST 380: Imperial China
- HIST 381: Revolutionary China
- HIST 384: History of Japan
- HIST 383: Women in China
- HUM 124: The Ancient World
- HUM 214: Medieval and Renaissance World
Asian history, early China, historiography, humanities, world scripture, Mormon studies
- The Annotated Book of Mormon. New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming in 2023.
- "How the Book of Mormon Responds to the Bible." In The Bible in Mormonism: A Handbook to the Latter-Day Saint Scriptural Tradition, edited by Cory Crawford, Eric Eliason, and Taylor Petrey. New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming in 2023.
- "Sima Qian," an 8,000 word biography for Bloomsbury History: Theory and Method, edited by Stefan Berger. Bloomsbury digital resource; online in 2021.
- "Ancient History and Modern Commandments: The Book of Mormon in Comparison with Joseph Smith's Other Revelations." In Producing Ancient Scripture: Joseph Smith's Translation Projects in the Development of Mormon Christianity, edited by Michael Hubbard MacKay, Mark Ashurst-McGee, and Brian M. Hauglid, 205-27. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2020.
- "The Bible and the Book of Mormon." In The Book of Mormon: Americanist Approaches, edited by Elizabeth Fenton and Jared Hickman, 107-35. New York: Oxford University Press, 2019.
- The Book of Mormon: Maxwell Institute Study Edition (editor). Salt Lake City and Provo, UT: Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, BYU Religious Studies Center, and Deseret Book, 2018.
- • 论《史记》在 西 方 的 传 播 与 研 究 — 美 国 汉 学 家 侯 格 睿 教 授 访 谈 录 [On the
Dissemination and Studies of Records of the Historian in the Western World— An Interview with American Sinologist Grant Hardy], 漢 學 研 究 [Chinese Studies] 25 (2018): 123–29.
- Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition, thirty-six part DVD lecture course for The Teaching Company, 2011.
- The Oxford History of Historical Writing, Volume I: Beginnings to AD 600 (co-editor with Andrew Feldherr, Princeton University). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader’s Guide. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.