- 458 Sherrill Center
- Monday 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- Friday 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
- Note: And by appointment. Online (see Moodle for link).
Dr. Maxwell is a lecturer in the Health Wellness Department and a Pre-health Professions Advisor. She earned a BA in Chemistry from UNC Asheville. During and after undergraduate education, she participated in international medical mission in Bolivia, World Camp for Kids, an HIV educational outreach program for primary school children in Malawi, Africa, worked as an assistant and did immersion language courses in multiple Latin American Countries.
During her medical training, Dr. Maxwell participated in the CAMPOS Program and co-founded Proyecto Puentes de Salud to conduct research in relation to economic migration. PPS provided free HIV and cardiovascular screenings as well as risk reduction counseling and educational talks in Latino communities in Mexico and the US. Dr. Maxwell also trained in an immersive medical Spanish school in Guatemala and provided primary care with a midwife in an outlying Mam community. After earning a Medical Degree from UNC Chapel Hill, Dr. Maxwell trained in the MAHEC Rural Family Medicine Residency Program and now teaches in both the Chemistry and Health Wellness Departments at UNC Asheville.
Dr. Maxwell also works with multiple local volunteer organizations and is an All Souls Cathedral Steering Committee Member and Weekly Overseer for the Room In the Inn, a program through Homeward Bound that provides room and board, psycho-social support and increased access to social services for homeless women in the Asheville area. She also enjoys many outdoor activities with her family, increasing pollinator habitats, raising and releasing wild monarch butterflies in Western North Carolina.
- PGY1 training from MAHEC Rural Family Medicine Residency Program in Hendersonville, NC
- M.D. from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A. in Chemistry from University of North Carolina at Asheville
- Other certifications include:
- PALS (2012), ALSO (2012), ACLS (2011), CPR and First Aid Instructor (2004), Wilderness First Responder (1999), EMT-Basic (1997)
- CHEM 111 General Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM 132 General Chemistry
- CHEM 231 Organic Chemistry 1
- CHEM 222 Organic Chemistry Laboratory
- HWP 178 Public Health & Disease
- HWP 225 Nutrition & Lifestyle
- HWP 350 Service Learning Health Promotions
- HWP 455 Pathophysiology of Chronic Conditions