2018-19 Insurance Updates
The University of North Carolina system has made some changes to our Student Health Insurance Program for 2018-19. Student Blue, underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC), will be the insurance vendor on all 16 UNC campuses. Our partnership with Student Blue will include:
- Comprehensive health insurance benefits and services
- Quick and easy online enrollment and waiver process.
- Anytime access to benefit information from your laptop, tablet or smartphone
- Extraordinary customer service for students, parents and campus staff
- Peace-of-mind with the BlueCross brand and the largest provider network in North Carolina meant to complement the care provided on-campus at the Health & Counseling Center
Please note the following:
- Students who are degree seeking and taking 6 or more credit hours are required to have health insurance to attend a UNC system school. Students with existing health insurance coverage can waive out of the school insurance plan.
- Students must enroll in or waive out of the coverage no later than September 1, 2018. Visit studentbluenc.com/#/unca to start the process. Students who do not submit an approved waiver and have not enrolled themselves in the program will be enrolled automatically.
- Students who have existing family or individual coverage through another Blue Cross Blue Shield plan must complete the enrollment/wavier process as well. Students who are covered under a different health insurance plan are welcome to consider Student Blue.
For more information, please visit www.bcbsnc.com/unca, or contact Jay Cutspec at 828.251.6520.
Health Insurance Alternatives
- Alternative health insurance plans include:
- Buncombe County Health and Human Services: Assistance with Health Insurance
- Pisgah Legal Services: Affordable Care Act and the Health Insurance Navigator Project