Reducing electricity use in our library, offices, classrooms, labs, dining areas, and residence halls can add up to significant environmental gains, as well as real financial savings. We need the help of every member of the UNC Asheville community to Flip the Switch.
Six Ways to Save in 2017
1. Turn off unnecessary lights (this simple action will have the greatest impact!)
2. Shut windows and exterior doors
3. Shut off idle computers, printers and other electronics
4. Report spaces that are too cold or too hot, instead of running space heaters or fans
5. Avoid the use of mini-fridges and other small appliances in your office in favor of shared equipment in break areas.
6. Chemical fume hoods are the biggest energy consumer in labs. While it is important to have the sashes open to the proper location to protect users, 20% (or more) electricity reductions can be achieved by closing the sashes when not in use.
Through our collective efforts, we can dramatically impact the efficiency of our facilities and the budgetary impacts of our actions. Thanks in advance for being a part of this important effort.
LED Lighting Adjustments
As part of the Flip the Switch campaign, we will be reducing the intensity of some of our overhead LED lighting. Look for an email from Campus Operations regarding the timing of this work in your building.
Save Energy, Win Prizes
You can win over $5,000 in prizes between now and Commencement just for taking part in Flip the Switch activities. Prizes include solar cell phone chargers, LED inflatable lanterns, donated gift certificates to the North Asheville Tailgate Market and more. Sign up for Flip the Switch weekly updates here to enter. Or, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Subscribe to Flip the Switch Power Savers." You can unsubscribe at anytime. Multiple winners will be drawn every week. The earlier you sign up, the more chances to win!
Have you recently joined the mailing list? Read our previous emails below.
- Dec. 15: Flip the Switch: UNC Asheville Saves Energy
- Jan. 15: Flip the Switch: Energy Conservation News
- Jan. 23: Week 1 winners: ENO string lights
- Jan. 30: Week 2 winners: $100 NATM gift certificate
- Feb. 7: Week 3: Who wants a portable solar oven?
- Feb. 13: Week 4: Beware the mini-fridge
- Feb. 20: Week 5: Flip the Switch drives costs down
- Feb. 27: Week 6: Efficiency tips for your home
- March 6: Week 7: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Your Thermostat (But Were Afraid to Ask)
- March 20: Week 8: How to choose a great LED bulb
- March 27: Week 10: Spring Greenfest is here!
- April 3: Win an EcoBee through Facebook Live
- April 10: RSVP now for Flip the Switch: Live! on Facebook
- April 24: What's the Buzz?
- May 2: Did we have an impact?
- May 15: Flip the Switch energy campaign: Final results
See something? Say something.
You might be aware of a motion sensor that is not working the way you'd like it to. Or an exterior door that never really closes. Or a sign that needs to be changed or replaced. You are our eyes and ears on campus; if you notice an issue, please let Facilities know so that we can address it immediately.