With the theme “Embrace Your Inner Superhero,” UNC Asheville alumni, students and families will celebrate Homecoming 2019 with the annual Homecoming Parade, a Bulldog basketball doubleheader, the Alumni Awards Banquet, and much more.
David Ramseur, author of Melting the Ice Curtain: The Extraordinary Story of Citizen Diplomacy on the Russia-Alaska Frontier, and a 1976 graduate of UNC Asheville will receive the university’s Roy A. Taylor Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award. A former policy advisor to many Alaska elected officials and a journalist with the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner and Anchorage Times, Ramseur has made more than a dozen trips to the USSR and Russia, and was honored last year by the Alaska Historical Society for contributions to Alaska history. Ramseur is a visiting scholar in public policy at the University of Alaska Anchorage’s Institute of Social and Economic Research and board chair of the Alaska World Affairs Council.
Other UNC Asheville alumni who will be honored at the banquet are:
- Karen K. Brown, Class of 1981, UNC Asheville trustee and River Arts District artist.
- Sabine Moses, Class of 2012, Erwin High School math teacher.
- Marquis C. McGee, Class of 1999, James Madison University associate director of first-year programs.
- Peter Haschke, Class of 2007, UNC Asheville assistant professor of political science.
- Ann Dunn, Class of 1993, UNC Asheville humanities lecturer and Asheville Ballet artistic director.
Highlights of the Homecoming 2019 schedule include:
Friday, Feb. 22 –
- Bulldog Baseball Home Opener vs. UMBC – 3 p.m., Greenwood Field.
- 2019 National Alumni Awards Banquet – Ticketed event for UNC Asheville alumni and their guests – check-in and reception begins at 6 p.m. with program starting at 6:30 p.m., Highsmith Student Union, Blue Ridge Room.
- Pep Rally – 7 p.m., Lipinsky Auditorium.
- Lip Sync Competition – 8 p.m., Lipinsky Auditorium.
- Step Show – 9 p.m., Lipinsky Auditorium.
- Homecoming After Party for UNC Asheville students and alumni, featuring DJ PRODUCT, Izzy, Sorority and JMEllo – 10 p.m., Highsmith Student Union, Alumni Hall.
Saturday, Feb. 23 –
- Bulldog Big Wheel Race – 10 a.m., the Quad.
- Homecoming Parade – “Embrace Your Inner Superhero” – 11:30 a.m., Parking Lot P18.
- Bulldog Baseball vs. UMBC – noon, Greenwood Field.
- Bulldog Basketball Doubleheader – Women’s game vs. USC Upstate at 2 p.m.; Men’s game vs. Presbyterian at 4:30 p.m., Kimmel Arena; Alumni Zone gathering between games in Kimmel Arena, Grimes Atrium.
- Bulldog Men’s Tennis vs. NCCU – 3 p.m., Asheville Racquet Club Downtown, 27 Resort Dr., Asheville.
- Ticketed Homecoming Closeout Celebration, presented by Smith Edwards Group, for UNC Asheville alumni and guests – 9:30 p.m., The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave., Asheville.
- Homecoming Grand Finale for UNC Asheville students featuring hypnotist Michael C. Anthony, 10 p.m., Highsmith Student Union, The Grotto.
For more information, visit unca.edu/homecoming.