The Blue Banner, UNC Asheville’s student newspaper, earned seven awards at the annual statewide College Media Association’s conference held last month at North Carolina A&T State University.
The Blue Banner received the following awards for 2018:
- Best of Show – Online News
- First Place – Digital Storytelling – The Anniversary Women’s March on Asheville, by Lawson Rudisill
- Third Place – Sports Writing – A method to the madness: How unwashed pants might yield big results, by Samuel Robinson
- Honorable Mention – Feature Writing – Book lovers unite at Malaprop’s Book Club, by Maddy Sherer
- Honorable Mention – Feature Writing – Student’s toothbrush photobomb becomes a viral sensation, by Virginia Taylor
- Honorable Mention – Cartoon – Squatch, by Jessica Debnam
- Honorable Mention – Single or Two Page Design – Tibetan monks on campus unite students and community, by Sarah Shadburne
The N.C. College Media Association, sponsored by the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication at UNC-Chapel Hill, offers a one-day conference on a different campus each year to hold educational workshops and recognize outstanding work from the state’s student newspapers, yearbooks and online news organizations.
For more information, contact Michael Gouge, UNC Asheville lecturer in mass communication, 828.232.2423 or email@example.com.