Types of Student Employees

Non-Federal Work Study (Non-FWS) Positions

  • What is a Non-FWS Position? This is any (and most) on-campus student employee position that is not funded by Federal Work Study.
  • Who is eligible for Non-FWS positions? Any undergraduate student that is degree-seeking and enrolled at UNC Asheville for the current semester or, if working during academic year breaks, enrolled for the following semester at UNC Asheville. 
  • Where can I find find open non-FWS positions? When you log into Handshake, choose ‘Jobs’ in the top left of the page. Then click the ‘on-campus’ filter to the right of the search bar.
  • How many hours can I work in my Non-FWS position? Students can work a maximum of 28 hours per week inclusive of all on-campus paid positions. Hours during winter and summer breaks should not exceed 40 hours per week inclusive of all on-campus paid positions. 


Federal Work Study (FWS) Student Positions

  • What is FWS? FWS is a federally funded financial aid employment program available during fall and spring semesters.  Eligibility for FWS is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Who can apply for a FWS position? Students who are a) eligible for FWS, b) accept the award through the Financial Aid Office, and are c) degree-seeking, enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours), and a US citizen or permanent resident.
  • How will I receive my FWS funding? Students earn the FWS funds by applying for and securing on-campus positions that are eligible to be paid through FWS. FWS positions are paid an hourly rate, determined by the Financial Aid Office, on a biweekly basis. There are no parameters on how the pay is used after being deposited.
  • How do I find FWS-eligible positions? You’ll use Handshake to identify on-campus and off-campus FWS-eligible positions. 
    • On-Campus FWS-Eligible Positions: When you log into Handshake, choose ‘Jobs’ in the top left of the page. Click on ‘All filters,’ which is at the end of the line that has the job search bar and additional filters. This will pop open a small window. Scroll to the very bottom and in “Labeled by your school” type in ’22-23 fws.’
    • Additionally, all on-campus positions that are eligible to be paid through FWS will have “This position is open to non-Federal Work Study and Federal Work Study eligible students” at the top of the posting description. 
    • Off-Campus FWS-Eligible Positions: When you log into Handshake, choose ‘Jobs’ in the top left of the page. Then click on ‘All Filters’ in the top center of the page and select the ‘Work study’ filter. When you click the blue ‘Show Results’ button, those off-campus opportunities will load.
      • I’m eligible for FWS but don’t see the ‘Work study’ filter. This probably means your Banner account doesn’t have you marked as receiving FWS. Contact the Registrar at registrar@unca.edu or 828-350-4500 and the Financial Aid Office at finaid@unca.edu or 828-251-6535.
  • Am I guaranteed a FWS position? No. You still need to meet the position requirements and apply, interview, and be offered the position.
  • How many hours can I work in my FWS position?  Students with FWS can work a maximum of 20 hours per week in their FWS position during the academic year. The recommended number of hours is 10 hours/week. 


Hiring Process for Student Employees

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Students cannot begin working on-campus until all of their required paperwork has been submitted and processed with HR and Payroll. Completion and approval of employment paperwork before a student begins on-campus work is a requirement of law and University policy. Beginning to work without approved employment status may result in no longer being able to hold an on-campus student employee position.

  • Step 1: Open student employment positions are posted on Handshake. Students apply and submit any required documentation, such as a resume, through Handshake. 
  • Step 2: Typically, students interview for a position with the hiring supervisor. Once the supervisor completes all interviews, they’ll make an offer to the successful student. 
  • Step 3: The supervisor will submit a Student Employment Agreement, which will be emailed to the student’s @unca.edu email to complete.
  • Step 4: Student employees must complete all required documentation with Human Resources. Students cannot begin working until all paperwork is completed and submitted.
    • If this is the student’s first on-campus paid position, you’ll need to complete required paperwork.
    • If this is not the student’s first on-campus paid position, these forms should already be on file with the university.
    • If the student is an international student, they must contact Sara King, Global Studies Coordinator, at sking6@unca.edu and complete specific, required hiring documents.

Once the SEA and all required documents are submitted, Payroll will enter the student employee information into Banner, which allows access to timesheets through the ‘Employment’ tab in OnePort. It may take several days for this processing to happen, so if a student doesn’t see the ‘Employment’ tab in OnePort please give it a couple of days before contacting Human Resources.

Please email Cate Marshall at cmarsha3@unca.edu or career@unca.edu with any questions!