Post position with us in Handshake our job and internship posting system. Questions? Check out our Employer Quick Start Guide.
On-Campus Recruiting Events
Join us for our fairs: Part-time Job Fair, Career & Internship Fair, and the Graduate School Fair. Learn more in Handshake.
Want to schedule an interview day on campus? Just email email@example.com
Meet students in high traffic areas on campus at informal table sessions, just let us know when you’d like to be on campus.
Pitch your internship opportunities to interested students each semester at a unique internship event that removes the awkwardness of formal career fairs.
Got a great idea? Let’s talk and see how we can bring it to UNC Asheville.
Wondering if you should offer a paid or unpaid internship? For-profit sites should consider this information from the Department of Labor when thinking about whether to host an unpaid intern. Nonprofit sites have some other things to consider, so start here. Review the legal considerations for bringing interns to your workplace.
Inclusive Recruiting at UNC Asheville
We welcome all of the different cultures, identities, talents, and interests represented in our community. We encourage students and alumni to explore how employers and organizations value belonging in the workplace in order to build an inclusive culture with diverse perspectives. We expect our employer partners to create an environment where UNC Asheville student employees, interns, and alumni feel heard and included through the following actions:
- Incorporate anti-racist, equity-minded, and diversity and inclusion practices in both recruiting and employee retention initiatives
- Understand and comply with UNC Asheville’s expanded EEO guidelines and adhere to affirmative action principles
- Consider the language used in job descriptions with an eye for bias and how it may favor or discourage candidates of different backgrounds
- Advertise the salary range for every position to eliminate wage gaps based on identity and affinity (This will also help you attract candidates more likely to stay.)
- Hire for culture add, not culture fit.
- When asked, provide specific and actionable feedback for candidates who did not receive an offer
- Approach issues and questions around diversity and inclusion with an open mind and be accepting of constructive feedback
- If you’re not sure about something, reach out to the UNC Asheville Career Center– we’re here to help!
Ready to move toward inclusive hiring practices, but want more guidance? The Career Center at UNC Asheville recommends the following resources:
Inclusion on Purpose by Ruchika Tulshyan
Western North Carolina Diversity Engagement Coalition
ADA Myths + Facts and Hiring Resources
Trangender Law Center – Sample/Model Employment Policy for inclusive workplaces
How to create an LGBTQ+ Inclusive Workspace
Asheville Chamber – Inclusive Hiring Partners (IHP)
Check your job descriptions for coded language Textio.com (paid service)
Check your job descriptions for gendered language: http://gender-decoder.katmatfield.com/ (Free)
7 additional tech tools for eliminating bias in hiring
Visit maps.unca.edu for the campus map. Campus visitors need to register their vehicle with our Transportation Office and park in designated visitor parking. For most events, guest lots P9 and P17 will be the most centrally located.
Learn more about Asheville, and ask the Career Center about hotel discounts!