We are making every effort possible to be flexible when it comes to financial aid appeals and adjustments. Students who lose their scholarships due to a break in enrollment have the option of appealing to have their scholarships reinstated upon return to UNC Asheville. If the break in enrollment was COVID-related, please submit a letter of explanation through the Financial Aid Documentation Submission. A committee will review the appeal and make a determination.
UNC Asheville Scholarship Portal
The Office of Financial Aid has a scholarship system used for identifying scholarship candidates. Please register and complete the general application to see your eligibility for scholarships.
Instructions for Accessing Your Scholarship Portal
University Merit Award
The University Merit Award is a comprehensive scholarship program offered to first-time applicants. Students may be considered for the University Merit Award if they meet some or all of the following criteria:
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by a high grade point average during high school or above average scores on the SAT or ACT
- Interest in or passion for an academic program offered by UNC Asheville
- Extracurricular engagement
- Exemplary community service or community leadership
The University Merit Award is renewable for up to four years (eight semesters) provided that the student maintains the specified minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, remains full-time in each semester and does not have a break in their enrollment.
Academic Department Scholarships
Arts and Humanities
- Languages & Literatures (French, Spanish, German)
- Environmental Studies
- Health & Wellness Promotion
- Management & Accountancy
- Mass Communication
Academic scholarships vary in funding amounts and duration. Visit the academic programs pages to find out more about these scholarships.
Weatherhead International Scholarship
UNC Asheville strives to recruit and retain a diverse and globally representative student body. The Richard W. Weatherhead International Scholarship, established by The Midgard Foundation, offers international students coming from Asia funding to study at UNC Asheville. The funding assists with tuition, room and board, and transportation assistance as needed.
The College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) has a comprehensive list of scholarships available to North Carolina residents. Information and applications for these programs are available through the College Foundation Website, cfnc.org.
If a student receives a scholarship from an outside source, you must inform our office as soon as possible so we can update your awards.
To facilitate this process, you should ask the awarding organization to make the scholarship check payable only to UNC Asheville and send the check directly to the Office of Admissions & Financial Aid. To ensure that funds are applied accurately, the scholarship check should contain both the student’s name and student ID number.
- Outside scholarship checks should be sent to the Office Financial Aid, One University Heights, CPO #1330, Asheville, NC 28804-8502
- When possible please send the check prior to August 1 for fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester, to allow enough processing time for funds to be available the first day of classes.
- Make sure the student’s information accompanies the check. The student’s name and identification number (930xxxxxx) allows for faster processing
You may also choose to notify our office by submitting a copy of your award notification about the award. Please include your student identification number with all information submitted. You may also notify us via email at email@example.com. Please include the information about the scholarship (name of scholarship and amount of scholarship for the academic year).
Upon receiving the scholarship information, we add the amount as anticipated aid and make any necessary adjustments to your financial aid package. When the funds are received, they are applied directly to your account.
Resources for Outside Aid and Scholarships
- Federal Student Aid Scholarship Search
- College Foundation of NC Scholarship Search
- Free Scholarship Search
- Information on Various Types of Aid
Students seeking to transfer to UNC Asheville can also be considered for merit-based scholarships. Transfer students who demonstrate strong academic achievement will be considered for scholarships automatically as part of their application for admission. These scholarships are renewable and may be received for a second year as long as the student remains enrolled full-time and maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA at UNC Asheville.
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Scholarship
UNC Asheville now awards a PTK Scholarship to students who became members at their two-year institution. Phi Theta Kappa is an international honor society for students in two-year programs, and we’d like to reward those members for their hard work and academic success. Be sure to indicate on your UNCA application that you are a member of PTK so we can recognize your achievement!
Scholarship Scams to Avoid
On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act of 2000 (CSFPA). The CSFPA enhances protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing strict sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud.
Perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use these telltale lines:
- The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back
- You can’t get the information anywhere else
- They ask for a credit card or bank account number to “hold” the scholarship
- They say they’ll do all the work
- The scholarship costs some money
- You’ve been selected by a “national foundation” to receive a scholarship, or “you’re a finalist” in a contest you never entered
For more information on recognizing and avoiding scholarship scams, visit The Federal Trade Commission’s website on scholarship scams – how to recognize and avoid them.