We’re glad you’ve chosen to continue your education at North Carolina’s designated liberal arts and sciences university! We appreciate the hard work and sacrifice all Student Veterans have made, and we deem it an honor to provide support, guidance, and information to assist you in being successful at UNC Asheville.
Your first step should be to apply to UNC Asheville.
- Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill
- Chapter 35: Survivor’s and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
- Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill-Selective Reserve
- Chapter 1607: Reserve Education Assistance Program (Discontinued benefit-See GI Bill website for eligibility details.)
Information about eligibility and rates is available at www.gibill.va.gov.
How to Apply for Benefits
Veterans applying for benefits for the first time must:
- Apply for admission to UNC Asheville.
- Complete an Application for Benefits form 22-1990 online.
- Upon enrolling, submit either a DD-214 form showing honorable discharge OR the Notice of Basic Eligibility (N.O.B.E.) for reservists to the Office of the Registrar.
Complete a Request for Certification form in the Office of the Registrar. Veterans must have initially completed steps 1-3 above before completing this step. This step is necessary in order for educational benefits to be received. A Request for Certification form must be completed each year.
Transferring benefits from a previous school?
Veterans who have previously received benefits and wish to transfer their benefits must:
- Apply for admission to UNC Asheville.
- Submit a Change of Place of Training or Program form, available online, to the VA.
- Upon enrolling, submit either a DD-214 form showing honorable discharge OR the Notice of Basic Eligibility (N.O.B.E.) for reservists to the Office of the Registrar, as well as a Certificate of Eligibility.
Complete a Request for Certification form in the Office of the Registrar. Veterans must have initially completed steps 1-3 above before completing this step. This step is necessary in order for educational benefits to be received. A Certification of Enrollment form must be completed each year.
How to Receive Military Credit
In order to receive credit for military courses or training, new students must submit an official Joint Services Transcript or Community College of the Air Force transcript at the time of application. All credits that equate to specific UNC Asheville courses will be applied as direct equivalencies. Students who receive less than seven hours of direct equivalencies will receive elective credit toward graduation up to seven hours. Please note that students with less than seven hours of military course work or training will not receive the seven hour block of credit. Transfer hours from military training are not subject to the tuition surcharge.
- Request Official Joint Services Transcript
- Request Official Community College of the Air Force Transcript
How do I start my educational benefits?
Please see our Applying for Benefits page. Information about available programs and a GI Bill Comparison Tool are available at www.gibill.va.gov.
How do I find out if I have any benefits remaining?
Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 (888-GIBILL1).
Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits?
Is UNC Asheville a Yellow Ribbon School?
Not at this time.
How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?
Students using the Montgomery GI Bill (Ch 30), the Selected Reserve (Ch 1606), and REAP (Ch 1607) must verify their enrollment with the VA each month in order to receive payment. Enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using your Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) account or by calling 1-877-823-2378.
Do I have to attend full-time to receive my educational benefits?
In the fall and spring semesters, undergraduate students taking less than 12 hours can still receive a prorated amount of their benefit. Students receiving the Post 9/11 GI Bill must be enrolled at greater than half time in order to receive the housing allowance.
How can I receive full time benefits for summer semesters?
The VA considers summer semesters non-standard terms, and uses this formula to determine training time equivalence.
What is the process to transfer Post 9/11 benefits to a dependent or spouse?
The veteran must elect to transfer the benefit through the Department of Defense Transferability of Education Benefits (TEB) site. Once the transfer has been approved, the dependent should apply for the benefit by completing a 22-1990e. Once this application is processed, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to the student.
Am I eligible for a military tuition waiver?
Please review the information on the Residency and Tuition website for information on applying for military tuition benefits.