How to Participate

Any currently enrolled student in any major is eligible to apply for undergraduate research opportunities. Students must have a research advisor who is committed to the project to be eligible for our many grant opportunities. In order to be eligible for a summer grant, the student must be planning to enroll at UNC Asheville for the following fall semester. Summer grants will not be awarded to students who will graduate at the end of the summer.

Academic Credit

Students usually earn academic credit for performing undergraduate research, either through a research-based course in their major or through the 499 designation (1-6 credit hours; Registrar form: The UR program features our own symposia each semester for students to present their research, scholarship and creative work. We also make competitive awards to students to present their research at other UR or disciplinary conferences. Students who present their research and publish their work in our refereed UNC Asheville Undergraduate Research Journal may also apply to receive Distinction as a University Research Scholar (upon recommendation by their research/scholarly advisor and concurrence from the department chair). Students interested in UR are encouraged to discuss possible opportunities with the faculty in their major department.

University Research Scholar Designation

The University Research Scholar (URS) designation is awarded to graduating seniors for outstanding performance in undergraduate research.

Candidates for the University Research Scholar designation:

  • must have made a presentation at a UNC Asheville Symposium
  • must have published the results of his or her research
  • may submit a paper to Undergraduate Research Program Advisory Council (URPAC) for review instead of publishing
  • must have the endorsement of the faculty research advisor and
  • must have the endorsement of the chair of the department.

Conference Information

Students can apply to participate in the following conferences:

  • National Conferences on Undergraduate Research (NCUR)
  • Big South Undergraduate Research Symposium (BigSURS)
  • Council on Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC)
  • State of North Carolina Undergraduate Research Symposium (SNCURS)

Current students: Application details and deadlines for the following 2018 conferences can be found at