Study Abroad FAQs

At what point can students study abroad?

Students must have completed a year on campus before studying abroad and must be on campus their last semester before graduating. UNC Asheville students can study abroad for a semester, an academic year, a summer session or a short-term session such as Spring Break or a December program. They need to have a minimum gpa of 2.50, however, some programs require a higher gpa such as a 2.75 or a 3.0.

Where can students study abroad?

Students have the possibility to go all over the world. There are several ways that a student can study abroad:

1) Exchange Programs

A. Through UNC Asheville: UNC Asheville has exchange agreements with universities in Australia, England, France, Hong Kong, Japan, S. Korea, Spain, The Netherlands and Turkey. Students can study on exchange, which allows students to come here from those universities and UNC Asheville students to study at these particular universities.

B. Through ISEP: Students can study on exchange through our membership in the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP). This offers access to over 200 universities in over 40 countries as possibilities for students to study abroad.

2) Non-Exchange Programs

Sometimes students cannot find what they really want through our exchange options. We allow students to enroll in Non-Exchange Programs as long as they receive credit through an accredited institution and the program is approved through the Study Abroad Office.

3) Summer and Short-term Programs

Students can attend study abroad programs that are led by UNC Asheville faculty in the break periods or summer terms. Some students attend other universities’ summer programs and transfer their credit back to UNC Asheville.

How to Apply

It depends on the program. Please contact the Study Abroad Office so we can make sure you complete the correct application.

What are the deadlines?

Visit our deadlines page for particular programs. In general, the deadline for studying abroad in spring is mid-October but may be earlier for some programs. Deadlines for fall and summer are mid-February but may be earlier for some programs. All applications for all programs come through the Study Abroad Office.

Can I use my financial aid for study abroad?

Yes, you may be able to use your financial aid on approved programs. Students participating in UNC Asheville’s Exchange programs may use all types of financial aid for which the student qualifies, including federal, state, and UNC Asheville grants, scholarships, and/or loans.

Students participating in summer or winter faculty-led programs may use all types of financial aid for which the student qualifies.

Students participating in programs other than the Exchange programs listed above may use Federal and State grants, scholarships, and/or loans. These non-exchange programs include ISEP-Direct or other outside programs. UNC Asheville institutional scholarships and grants may not be used for these programs.

Is there other funding available?

UNC Asheville has received generous gifts that are to be used to help students with the cost of studying abroad. The International Experience Grant is a need-based grant available for any international experience of at least one week in duration. Applications as well as a list of outside resources for other scholarships and grants can be found online and in the Study Abroad Office.

How does my course credit transfer back to UNC Asheville?

Good planning is essential. Students work with their advisor to plan the right time to go abroad and the right classes to take. In general, all classes will transfer back as elective credit. Grades do not transfer. Students will need to fill out a Permission to Study Abroad form (available on our website or in our office) which will list where they are going and what courses they will take. They need to get pre-approval for these courses from their advisor and/or the department chair. This is very important! It’s used to register them for study abroad courses (SABR) while they are away and keeps them enrolled at UNC Asheville during this time.

How does a student pay for their study abroad program?

The Study Abroad Office works with the Director of Student Accounts to make sure that students are billed correctly.

  • UNC Asheville Exchange participants are charged tuition and fees
  • ISEP Exchange participants are charged tuition, fees, room and board
  • ISEP Direct participants are not charged by UNC Asheville but are charged through ISEP
  • Non-Exchange program participants are not charged by UNC Asheville
  • UNC Asheville faculty-led program participants are charged program fees which includes UNC Asheville summer tuition

How do students pre-register for the following semester when they are abroad?

The Registrar’s office contacts students by their UNC Asheville email, reminding them to get their RAN from their advisor and pre-register online during their registration period.  If student’s will not have access to internet during their pre-registration time, the study abroad office can do that.  Email the study abroad office ( with the CRN, name of course and RAN.