University Planning Council
Minutes for May 12, 2009
Present: Buffy Bagwell, Peg Downes, Becky Doyle, Jane Fernandes, Vic Foster, Archer Gravely, Bill Haggard, Jeff Konz, Jim Kuhlman, Amy Lanou, Keya Maitra, Cortland Mercer, Patrice Mitchell, Linda Nelms, Adrienne Oliver, Dan Pierce, John Pierce, Anne Ponder, Christine Riley, Louise Thompson, Betsy Wilson
Absent: Bill Massey
UPC met at 3:30 on May 12 in HU 221.
1. Chancellor Ponder welcomed Mr. Foster and Ms. Mitchell as new staff members, and Ms. Thompson and Mr. Mercer as new student members of UPC. She introduced Ms. Nelms as the new Vice Chair replacing Dr. Wilson. Chancellor Ponder expressed her appreciation to Dr. Wilson for her service on UPC, and to outgoing staff members Barb Svenson and Melissa Acker and outgoing faculty member Peg Downes. Kevin Moorhead will also be on UPC next year.
2. Dr. Wilson presented the draft mission and vision statements for UPC discussion. She reported that these documents have gone through many drafts and that the current draft has been discussed at the last two Faculty Senate meetings. Chancellor Ponder noted that the Board of Governor’s timeline for reviewing mission statements has changed due to the economic crisis. The BOG is now scheduled to review campus mission statements in August rather than as originally scheduled in May. Chancellor Ponder also reported that members of the UNC Asheville Board of Trustees have individually expressed four concerns about the draft mission and vision statements. She asked for some UPC members and members of the Mission Review Task Force to meet with the BOT to discuss the mission statement during their June 18-19 retreat before asking them to approve it. UPC unanimously approved the current draft mission and vision statements.
3. Dr. Fernandes asked for advice from UPC about what feedback to provide to the campus on the mission statement review process and when. She will update the campus shortly.
4. UPC reviewed the current draft of the University Strategy for 2009-11 Resource Allocation document and made a number of editorial suggestions. Chancellor Ponder indicated that this would likely be a public document after UPC’s next meeting on May 20.
5. For the remainder of the meeting, UPC toured the Rhoades property and Pisgah House. Members were asked to make suggestions at the May 20 meeting as to the optimal use for the Rhoades property in future years.
6. The last scheduled UPC Meeting for 2008-09 will be on Tuesday, May 20, 12:30-1:30 in HU 221. The primary agenda item for the meeting is consultation on budget priorities for the next fiscal year.