University Planning Council
Minutes for July 26, 2007
Present: Melissa Acker, Amanda Alvarez, Gwen Ashburn, Elizabeth Bagwell, Melissa Burchard, Lothar Dohse, Archer Gravely, Bill Haas, Pat Hunt, Jim Kuhlman, Bruce Larson, Judi Leffe, Bill Massey, Adrienne Oliver, Anne Ponder, Christine Riley, Barbara Svenson, Kathy Whatley, Betsy Wilson, John Wood
Absent: Bill Haggard, Herman Holt
UPC met in the Whitman Room from 3:00 to 5:00.
1. Chancellor Ponder (Chair) and Dr. Wood (Vice Chair) convened an organizational meeting of the newly reconstituted University Planning Council. Dr. Wood distributed a UPC membership list (http://www.unca.edu/ir/plan/upc/) and a list of duties as described in both Senate Document 8407S (http://www.unca.edu/facultysenate/y0607/sd8407s.htm) and the Faculty Handbook (http://www.unca.edu/aa/handbook/10.htm#10.1.1). Chancellor Ponder reported that the UNCA Board of Trustees has approved the UPC concept in principle and would like to review the planning process in a couple of years. She also stated that the Board of Trustees would like to meet periodically with UPC.
2. Chancellor Ponder reviewed customs of discourse for UPC members. Members unable to attend future meetings were asked to not send a substitute. UPC Members reported on ways of communicating with each other and the experiences and skills they bring to the group. Chancellor Ponder noted that while UPC meetings are subject to the Open Meetings Act there may be occasions where we would need to go into closed session to discuss certain kinds of confidential matters. She will ask General Counsel Tom Lawton to send members pertinent sections of this law for our review.
3. Chancellor Ponder reviewed the agenda building process and suggested the following initial topics:
- Compass – what they are and how they might be used
- UPC review of the consultant’s draft Diversity report (Final report will include UPC input)
- Strategic planning implementation
- UNC Asheville Shared Values statement
- UNC Tomorrow participation
Members were asked to identify additional potential future agenda items. One role of UPC members will be to serve as contacts with the UNC Asheville community for strategic planning implementation. Suggested agenda items should be submitted to Dr. Wood or Chancellor Ponder who will work together to set the UPC agenda. Chancellor Ponder asked Ms. Bagwell and Dr. Whatley for suggestions on how to effectively communicate with staff and faculty respectively. Chancellor Ponder will also consult with Dr. Haggard about how to best communicate with students on planning issues.
4. The next UPC meeting will be held on August 16 from 10:00-11:30am in the Whitman Room. The remainder of the 2007-08 meeting schedule is under revision.