Purchasing and Travel Restrictions on Expenditures from State General Funds
Effective January 12, 2011
The following restrictions apply to purchase orders or travel authorizations using State General Funds (funds with a "2" prefix) and issued after 1/12/2011. Any State General Fund purchase orders or travel authorizations approved on or before 1/12/2011 will be honored as authorized.
All purchase orders and travel expenditures funded with non-state funds should be processed in accordance with existing policies and procedures.
Restrictions on Purchases using State General Funds:
1. Purchase orders for goods or services shall be limited to the maximum extent possible (only minimum inventories for necessary items should be maintained).
2. Purchase of supplies, equipment, and materials that are needed for classroom instruction are exempted from this restriction and will be permitted. Existing policies and procedures will apply to these expenditures.
3. All other purchases must be approved in advance at the Vice Chancellor/Senior Staff level.
4. All employees are asked to consider the fact and the perception of their appropriate stewardship of all university resources when making decisions about purchases.
Restrictions on Travel Expenditures using State General Funds:
1. Travel and training expenditures will be restricted to the most mission-critical situations, or those involving public safety, public health, job requirements, student travel related to classwork, and emergency situations, except as specifically approved by the Vice Chancellor/Senior Staff member as an exception.
2. Travel must be approved by the Vice Chancellor/Senior Staff member prior to any travel arrangements or commitments being made.
3. This guidance clearly requires good judgment. Any travel or training that is approved is expected to show clear relevance to the University's mission, cost effectiveness and appropriate restraint.
4. All employees are asked to consider the fact and the perception of their appropriate stewardship of all University resources when making decisions about travel.
This guidance is based on current directives from the Office of State Budgement Management as of 12/17/2010 and may be modified based on subsequent directives or circumstances.