University Planning Council
Minutes for May 8, 2013
Present: Buffy Bagwell, Jeff Brown, Shannon Earle, Jane Fernandes, Catherine Frank, Melodie Galloway, Eric Gant, Debbie Griffith, Bill Haggard, Julie Heintish, Gregg Kormanik, Ted Meigs, Jill Moffitt, Dave Peifer, Anne Ponder, Keith Ray, Christine Riley, Fred Santos
Absent: Jessica Dunsmore, Archer Gravely, Blake Hobby, Benjamin Judge, Ann Martin, Leisa Rundquist, Christy Williams
UPC met on May 8 from 3:05 to 4:30 in HIG 104.
1. Ted Meigs thanked the group for the opportunity to Co-Chair UPC this past year. He described his work with UPC as a pleasure, exhausting, rewarding and even fun at times. He wished Gregg Kormanik success in the coming year in his role as UPC Co-Chair and Faculty Senate’s IDC Chair. Ted recommended that UPC continue its attention on:
a. Aligning with the UNC Strategic Plan, while preserving UNC Asheville’s unique mission
b. Strategic Resource Allocation
c. Use of the 525 Broadway property
d. Campus smoking and its impact on the smokers and non-smokers
e. Student financial strife
f. Focus on Advancement – how can faculty, staff and students help enhance the University’s fundraising efforts?
2. Chancellor Ponder provided an update on current topics:
a. She shared the sad news of a student’s death earlier in the day. She asked Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Bill Haggard, to give a brief update to the group.
b. Earlier today, she attended a memorial service for Cary Caperton Owen, a remarkable and influential person for UNC Asheville and the UNC System. Artifacts of the Owen name can be found throughout Asheville and NC – library at Cathedral of All Souls, UNC Asheville's’ Owen Hall and Endowed Professorship, and the Anne Ponder Scholarship.
c. Chancellor Ponder described a “Review of Mission” opportunity offered by UNC General Administration, and sought UPC advice on the University’s response.
i. Some campus missions are changing to reflect their increased focus on Doctoral Programs and/or a substantial online presence
ii. Our mission was reviewed and affirmed during our recent SACS Re-affirmation of accreditation
iii. Missions that are being revised are due to GA in mid-September, 2013
iv. This is an option, not a requirement; She does not think UNC Asheville needs to participate in a revision.
v. Chancellor asked for alternative advice and received none.
3. Ted Meigs recognized the outgoing members of UPC and thanked them for their service: Dave Peifer, Eric Gant, Blake Hobby, Christy Williams, Julie Heinitsh and Benjamin Judge. Ted Meigs is also rotating off Faculty Senate, and therefore UPC.
4. UPC reviewed Draft 1 of the University Strategy for Resource Allocation for the 2013-15 biennium and provided additional feedback and edits. Provost Fernandes also shared feedback from others in Academic Affairs she had consulted.
5. UPC reviewed the Strategic Plan Workgroup Leaders draft recommendations for improvements to the Strategic Plan Dashboard Benchmarks, and provided substantive feedback, edits and advice. Members present agreed that, in its current form, the proposal had too many benchmarks, but they approved the direction in which the Dashboard is headed – adding several metrics to the Strategic Plan’s Dashboard, especially those from external sources that the public, Board of Governors and Legislators are asking for. An update of the Dashboard will be reviewed by the Board of Trustees in July.
Return to UPC Minutes