University Planning Council
Minutes for April 17, 2013
Present: Buffy Bagwell, Jeff Brown, Shannon Earle, Catherine Frank, Melodie Galloway, Eric Gant, Archer Gravely, Bill Haggard, Julie Heinitsh, Blake Hobby, Gregg Kormanik, Ted Meigs, John Pierce, Anne Ponder, Keith Ray, Christine Riley, Leisa Rundquist, Christy Williams
Absent: Jessica Dunsmore, Jane Fernandes, Nicole McGaha, Ann Martin, Dave Peifer, Jim Stanton
UPC met on April 17 from 3:05 to 4:30 in HIG 104.
1. Chancellor Ponder began her update by noting that our former University Counsel, Skip Capone, will be returning from retirement to work for us 3/5 time. Additionally, we will be seeking a full-time Associate General Counsel, after July 1, to help meet increasing compliance requirements.
Everything went very well for UNC Asheville at the recent Board of Governors meeting held at UNC-Pembroke. Our requests to establish a new B.A. in Art History and B.F.A. in Jazz and Contemporary Music were approved. The Board of Governors also approved our plans for purchasing 118 W.T. Weaver Blvd, and a $2.5M bond refinance project.
Governor McCrory attended the BOG meeting and made statements about the value of education. The Governor also stated that UNC campuses have drug/alcohol problems. Chancellor Ponder suggested that the UNC system will likely respond to this assertion on behalf of the campuses.
Chancellor Ponder noted a series of media events designed to help improve the community’s understanding of UNC Asheville’s value. The recently released Economic Impact study has led to some good conversations with state legislators and will be promoted through the folloing media events:
- David Hurand’s interview of Chancellor Ponder on WCQS public radio
- North Carolina Now on UNC-TV – April 23
- Asheville-Citizen Times Editorial Review Board – April 30
UPC members were invited to suggest topics for the Chancellor’s Briefing on April 23rd. Chancellor Ponder plans to review the integration of the UNC system Strategic Directions, UNC Asheville’s Strategic Plan, and various national accountability systems.
The Employee Picnic will be held from 11:30-1:30 on April 30 at the Janice Brumit Pisgah House. This event replaces the “Pie Party” and is one of our ways of building campus social sustainability.
Chancellor Ponder indicated that the administration needs to know what offices are being asked for information from UNC-General Administration. Offices should consult with the supervisors and/or vice chancellors to determine priorities and to ensure unified communications with UNC-GA.
A question was asked about the Board of Trustee sponsored campus and community survey on the need for graduate programs. Chancellor Ponder will prepare a response for the next UPC meeting.
As the last update item, Chancellor Ponder reported that the Tourism Development Authority has awarded a $500,000 grant to UNC Asheville to fund outdoor lighting for our athletic fields.
2. UPC discussed the University Strategy for 2011-13 Resource Allocation document. Chancellor Ponder asked UPC to help edit the document as a starting point. UPC members made a number of editorial and substantive suggestions. Ms. Riley will incorporate the suggestions made today for a second draft review at the next UPC meeting.
Return to UPC Minutes