University Planning Council
Minutes for August 23, 2012
Present: Buffy Bagwell, Jeff Brown, Shannon Earle, Jane Fernandes, Catherine Frank, Eric Gant, Archer Gravely, Bill Haggard, Julie Heinitsh, Blake Hobby, Benjamin Judge, Ann Martin, Ted Meigs, Dave Peifer, John Pierce, Anne Ponder, Christine Riley, Leisa Rundquist, Stephanie Watkins-Cruz
Absent: Jessica Dunsmore, Melodie Galloway, Gregg Kormanik, Keith Ray, Christy Williams
Guests: Melissa Burchard
UPC met from 8 am to 9:30 am in HIG 221.
1. Chancellor Ponder welcomed all new and returning members to the first UPC meeting of the 2012-13 year. Members were asked to introduce themselves, describe their role and years on campus, and to identify positive changes they have noticed since coming to UNC Asheville.
2. The Chancellor’s update included information on budget, salary increases, and a preview of expectations:
- For the first time in five years, we have more money in the budget than the previous year. We experienced no further cuts this year and were able to reinvest in some areas related to student success, provide 1.2% across-the board salary increases to all faculty and staff, fund $350,000 for faculty merit increases, and enhance campus safety.
- The Rhodes Tower renovation has been completed, and move-in is underway. Our new student residence hall, Overlook Hall, was completed on time within budget.
- Our endowment funds are recovering and are above $27M.
- We are implementing signage and way-finding projects developed through the campus master plan process.
- University Hall will be renamed as “Brown Hall” in honor of Dave Brown, our second Chancellor, in a public ceremony and dedication in September.
- We are in the process of purchasing the MAHEC building located at 118 W.T. Weaver Blvd. This building will serve as the future home of Advancement and the Student Health & Counseling Center.
- The Provost and faculty are in the process of redesigning the curriculum to make it more sustainable.
- The new astronomy lab/observatory located above the Reuter Center should open this Fall.
3. Dr. Meigs led a discussion of UPC topics for 2012-13 by suggesting the following agenda items:
- Review of Strategic Plan Dashboard including results and target values
- Review of new UNC-GA Performance Measures and how we can align with Strategic Plan and Dashboard
- Creative ways of easing student financial burden and enhancing retention
- Five-year enrollment plan
- Campus smoking policy
- Campus master plan, signage, and use of recently acquired Broadway property
UPC members made the following suggestions as agenda items for the year:
- Using student clubs and organizations and diversity intensive class visits to recruit diverse students
- Review of major surveys such as the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) to better understand institutional strengths and weaknesses
- Providing mechanisms for potential donors to meet with interested faculty and experience classroom/lab interaction with students
- UPC Assistance with an Employee Giving Campaign
- Institutional Effectiveness: How does it support the Strategic Plan? [can do any time]
- Advancement: Understanding our individual roles in improving the University’s budget
- NCCCR/OLLI: Review of their new Strategic Plan [can do any time]
- Sustainability on our campus – how best to coordinate our many efforts
- UNC Strategic Plan [due January 2013] – how well do we align with it?
- UNC Asheville’s capital priorities
Return to UPC Minutes