Campus Master Plan Joint Steering Committee and Working Group Minutes
5/19/2011, Highsmith University Union Room 224, 1:00-3:00 pm
Nathan Ramsey, Vice Chair, UNC Asheville Board of Trustees; Sue McClinton, trustee; Anne Ponder, Chancellor; John Pierce, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations; Keith Krumpe, Dean of Natural Science; Christine Riley, Chief of Staff; Rob Nelson, consultant and Working Group chair; Don Gordon, Director of Design & Construction; Dr. Dee Eggers, faculty; Dr. Gregg Kormanik, faculty; Chief Eric Boyce, Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police; and Renee Bindewald, student.
Ben Judge, student; Max Queen, VP of Administrative Services, AB Tech; Melissa Acker, Landscape Director; and Kim Newsome, AVC Student Affairs
Mr. Nelson welcomed the Steering Committee and Working Group members to the meeting at 1:05 pm.
The group reviewed the summary report and discussed each item.
The group discussed the themes document and reviewed each item, making recommendations for improvement.
The group discussed next steps and recommendations for the Board of Trustees:
- Assume the Master Plan will take another 12-18 months to complete. Continue with the current Working Group to steward the process.
- Fall 2011 – next round of campus consultations. Gather input on how the Guiding Principles would be implemented, and in what priority order, resolving a host of “competing goods.’
- December 2011 Board of Trustee meeting – Board determination of the scope of work for Master Plan consultants.
- Spring 2012 – Develop Request for Proposal (RFP) and put project out to bid. Review bids and identify top companies.
- April 2012 Board of Trustee meeting – Board review of CMP presentation from three firms and determine whom to invite to implement our Master Plan.
- May/June 2012 – Award bid. Preliminary work of CMP consultants.
- July 2010 Board Retreat – Consultants make CMP presentation, gather additional Trustee advice.
- Fall 2012 – Consultants continue CMP work.
- December 2012 – Completed Campus Master Plan
Several thoughts were discussed for the continued work of the Working Group:
- Review what needs an outside firm’s expertise and what can be done internally
- Space study for the non-academic space on campus
- Develop design standards
- Report back findings to stakeholders on campus
- Review findings from NCAA and SACS
- Look at other school’s CMP processes
- Consider partnering with an architecture program within the UNC system for lower cost expertise. Look to the folks at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute for lower cost expertise
- Visit other campuses to see what other schools are doing right and wrong
The group reviewed the competing goods document. The group considered soliciting feedback from the campus about direction to take with each of the competing goods.
Finally, the group discussed what would be most helpful to report to the Board of Trustees. The group decided to develop a list of priorities to recommend. Several committee members decided that campus safety needed to be a top priority and asked that we work to identify the amount of money needed for the improvements discussed.
Mr. Nelson concluded the meeting at 2:50 pm.
Return to Consultations and Minutes