Faculty Focus Group, April 28, 2011
Minutes from the Faculty Focus Group, Part II, on Thursday, April 28, 2011
- Brian Butler, Philosophy
- Gary Ettari, Literature
- Volker Frank, Sociology
- Lei Han, Multimedia Arts and Sciences
Working Group listeners:
1. Need for more unified (and attractive) aesthetics.
2. The library façade could use a renovation.
3. Improve signage, wayfinding and campus boundaries.
4. Consider a different location for the bookstore. Notre Dame, for example, literally routes its visitors through the bookstore before football games.
5. Create an Alumni/Athletics Visitor Center. A visible, welcoming space would be good for prospective students and visiting & local alumni.
6. Each academic building/department needs a space for students to gather. Outdoor gathering space would also be welcome.
7. Decide the best use for the North property and the Rhoades property.
8. Develop a more prominent University entrance. An arch on W.T. Weaver Blvd spanning from the Chancellor’s residence side, to the Botanical Gardens, could welcome guests.
9. Plan for the possibility of more UNC campus collaboration and what it would mean to UNC Asheville if another Pharmacy School came to our campus (need for swing space, dining, different residential housing, etc.)
10. Consider a classroom-only building.
Return to Consultations and Minutes