Friday, April 1, 2011
- Eric Boyce, Director of Public Safety / Chief of Police
- Sylvia Farrington, Director of Emergency Management
- Bill Haggard, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Working Group listeners:
• Christine Riley
1. High priority item is a facility for Campus Police headquarters that has the capacity to become accredited, per UNC General Administration’s recommendation.
2. General request not to ‘value engineer’ safety out of the Master Plan.
3. If the road between Highsmith and Phillips Hall becomes a pedestrian way (as the previous CMP suggests), make sure that there is a way for emergency vehicles to get close to the buildings.
4. Leave options available for surveillance of entrances/exits, gathering places, etc.
5. We want to have card access for all doors to monitor and control access, and provide capacity for a lockdown if it is ever needed. Keep this in mind for new buildings and renovations.
6. Define and identify all entrances to campus to notify visitors (friendly and not-so- friendly) that they are in new territory. Include better signage, better maps/directories in more accessible places.
7. Plan for better lighting all around campus.
8. Add more emergency call boxes.
a. We’ll need to identify the number of parking spaces needed overall, and plan to work toward that.
b. Investigate putting parking along the road to Chestnut Ridge, more shuttles from remote parking lots, etc.
c. Be sure to involve the Transportation Committee before making major decisions on parking issues.
10. Internal notification system and intercom systems in more buildings to augment the outdoor siren in emergencies.
11. Visible signs on buildings – both the name and the function.
12. Building evacuation issues: Signage for evacuation routes, shelter/lockdown spaces, inside and out, evacuation issues for disabled individuals. Need blueprints w/photos of buildings for emergency responders not from our campus.
13. When repurposing space, make sure to account for spaces that are currently identified as tactical and operational gathering spaces for emergency response situations. Still need a family assistance center away from the press.
14. Pre-disaster mitigation plan – includes upgrades needed to prevent significant damage in case of fire, floods, high winds, earthquakes, etc.
15. Mobile Tactical command unit – could be regionally shared.
Return to Consultations & Minutes