Minutes from the Athletics Group meeting, Wednesday, February 16, 2011
- Janet Cone, Senior Administrator for University Enterprises & Athletic Director
- Mike Gore, AAD, Sports Information
- Terri Brne, AAD, Compliance
- Judith Bohan, Budget Manager
- Harmon Turner, ticket manager
- Michelle Demko, Head Women’s Soccer Coach
- Donna Peek, administrative assistant
Working Group listeners:
- Eric Boyce, Chief of Police
- Gregg Kormanik, Faculty
- Christine Riley, Chief of Staff
1. Requested Athletics representation on CMP Working Group. They were not included in 2004 CMP process, and we now have several examples of why that was detrimental to the University.
2. This group already has a Outdoor facilities master plan for Athletics – Judith will send it to Christine
3. Currently undergoing NCAA recertification process, which will have master plan implications. Example might be the need to add additional sports as a gender equity issue.
a. Gender inequity is a reputational risk as well as a compliance risk.
b. What sports we add will affect our master plan significantly – and vice versa
4. They are currently developing a Recession Recovery Plan – goal is to assure more wins, more friends, and more resources.
5. Current master plan issues for Athletics include:
a. Open green space for informal recreation and collegiate practice and competition – there’s not enough now; we need to plan for more. We need more flat land (something they aren’t making more of!)
b. Losing promising recruits in several sports because of inadequate facilities (fields, locker rooms, etc.)
c. Only 1 lighted outdoor field
d. Not ADA compliant in all sports
e. Wayfinding is inadequate and detrimental to bringing in new friends & fans
f. Two sports are currently compete off campus with Baseball playing some home games at McCormick Field and tennis having hard and indoor courts at Crowne Plaza Tennis Resort; not ideal.
g. Current professional staff are housed in closets with no heat/a/c; not helpful to recruiting and retaining talented coaches and administrators.
h. Parking – will be even more of a challenge when Sherrill Center comes on line.
i. Discussions and planning for the Re-purposing of Justice Center and Health & Fitness Center is underway now. A campus-wide view would help do this well.
Return to Consultations and Minutes