News & Events
February 15, 2011
Because of financial pressure and the likelihood of further budget cuts, UNC Asheville today announced that it will cancel the 2011 Concerts on the Quad summer music series.
Concerts on the Quad had become a summer institution in Asheville with 28 consecutive seasons offering free Monday evening concerts that brought the greater Asheville community to campus.
The series had been funded by student fees, and although it had been popular with faculty, staff and members of the community, few students attended the Concerts on the Quad. "As part the university's efforts to preserve the academic core and the student experience, funds formerly set aside for Concerts on the Quad will now be used to preserve the level of service we offer to students," said Edward Katz, UNC Asheville associate provost. "This is a sad announcement to make, but it comes from our effort to make sure that all student fees directly benefit the student experience."
UNC Asheville's Performing Arts & Distinguished Speakers Series will continue to provide quality arts performances and lectures for its students, faculty, staff and the local community.
"We understand the value of serving greater Asheville, and over the past few years, have tried to raise money from concertgoers to support the Concerts on the Quad," said Katz. "Unfortunately, that effort did not result in the level of funds necessary to continue the program. If people in the community now come forward with funding for the series, the university would welcome the opportunity to bring Concerts on the Quad back."
For further information, please contact UNC Asheville News Services at 828.251.6526.