October 11, 2010
UNC Asheville's Music Department will continue its fall concert season with eight performances in October and November, including a special program of holiday music. The concerts, which will be held on campus, feature student and guest musicians. Admission for each concert is $5 at the door, and free for students with ID.
* The UNC Asheville Wind Ensemble, featuring students under the direction of Milton Crotts, will perform works ranging from Bach and Handel to the swing era classic “Sing Sing Sing.” The concert will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 17, at UNC Asheville’s Lipinsky Auditorium.
* Student jazz combos, under the direction of Rich Willey, Matthew Richmond and Mike Barnes, will present a concert of jazz selections at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 21, in UNC Asheville’s Lipinsky Auditorium.
* The University Singers will perform at 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 24, in the lobby of UNC Asheville's Lipinsky Hall.
* Trombone soloist Rick Simerly will be featured in a concert at 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, in UNC Asheville's Lipinsky Auditorium. Simerly has played in the Woody Herman and Tommy Dorsey Big Bands, and performed with more modern players including Bobby Watson and Steve Wilson. Simerly will join UNC Asheville student performers presenting big band and jazz vocal selections, under the direction of Rich Willey and Melodie Galloway.
* The UNC Asheville Percussion Ensemble will perform at 7:30 Thursday, Nov. 4, in UNC Asheville's Lipinsky Auditorium. The student performers are under the direction of Matthew Richmond.
* The University Chamber Singers will present a concert at 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 7, in UNC Asheville's Highsmith University Union. The student performers are under the direction of Melodie Galloway.
* A chamber music concert will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 14, in UNC Asheville's Lipinsky Auditorium. The concert will include performances by the Flute Choir, String Quartet and Brass Quintet under the direction of Judi Lampert, Inez Redman and Casey Coppenbarger.
* The Chamber Symphony and University Singers will present a program of seasonal favorites at 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 21. Selections will include Williams' “Fantasy on Greensleeves,” Correlli's “Christmas Concerto” and Handel's “Messiah.” The concert will feature performances from student soloists, as well as the Reuter Center Singers and the Asheville High School Choir. Ronald Clearfield and Melodie Galloway will conduct.
For more information or to reserve a $40 season ticket, call UNC Asheville’s Music Department at 828.251.6432, or visit www.unca.edu/music.