JUMP START YOUR FUTURE!
What is Jump Start?
Jump Start is a program that provides you an opportunity to be a part of a learning community for the fall semester, learn about UNC Asheville and college expectations, and develop skills that will help you transition smoothly from high school to college.
Who participates in Jump Start?
Jump Start is by invitation only. You have been identified by an Admissions Counselor as someone who can benefit from this program. Students who participate in Jumpstart come from all backgrounds and level of academic preparation.
What is the program like?
Jump Start provides you with intensive academic preparation, supported by dedicated faculty and staff. Participants in Jump Start will also have specialized guidance provided by Advising and Learning Support.
What classes will I take?
You will take required classes with your fellow Jump Start students that will count towards UNC Asheville’s ILS core requirements.
Where will I live and what will I do?
All Jump Start participants will live together in one of our residence halls. Also, there will be educational and social programs that you’ll attend with your fellow Jumpstart participants.
When does Jump Start begin?
The Jump Start program begins on August 10th, 2014.
What is the cost?
There is an additional fee of $350, which covers the cost of social and educational programming prior to the start of classes. Participants pay the same price for their tuition, fees, textbooks, meal plans, and housing as any student attending UNC Asheville.
Can I apply for Financial Aid?
Yes! All Jump Start participants are eligible to apply for financial aid. To apply for Financial Aid for 2014-2015, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2014-2015 academic year as soon as possible. Visit our Finanncial Aid website for details about the FAFSA and the Financial Aid process.
What are the benefits of the Jump Start program?
Participating in Jump Start gives you an opportunity to get a good start to your college career and increase your academic opportunity with adequate academic resources and professional guidance.
- Earn 12-15 hours of college credit.
- Develop meaningful relationships with faculty.
- Learn about resources and opportunities at UNC Asheville.
- One-on-one in-depth academic advising
- Gain an understanding of the college environment and expectations.
- Live in a residence hall with other students entering fall semester.
- A chance to develop lasting friendships with new and current UNC Asheville students
Who can I talk to?
Questions about why you were selected to participate in Jump Start and what it means? Contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com or call 800.531.9842 or 828.251.6481. Questions about what Jumpstart is like and why you should participate in this program? Contact the Office of Advising & Learning Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call one of our OneStop Advisors at 828.350.4501.
Next Steps & Important Dates:
- Apply for financial aid. Submit 2014-2105 FAFSA online.
- Submit $300 enrollment deposit to Office of Admissions by May 1
- Set up OnePort account after receiving Student ID number and username.
- Submit Fall 2014 housing application online through OnePort account.
- Sign up for Embark Orientation.
- Take the Online Advising and Registration (OAR) course, in order for your advisor to register you for your courses (available April 15).